The 17 SDGs have now become the global development platform that should be achieved in the year 2030. Given this ambitious effort, all countries including Indonesia should optimize their domestic economic potential in order to achieve the sustainable development goals. One of the potential instruments is zakat.

In Indonesia, the National Zakat Board (BAZNAS) and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) - Indonesia have signed the memorandum of understanding and agreement to set up pilot project of zakat on SDGs. This has become the first collaboration between zakat authority and the UNDP in the world.


With regard to this, Puskas BAZNAS Director, Irfan Syauqi Beik, and the Technical Advisor of UNDP, M Ikhsan Modjo, were invited by Effat University - Jeddah to share the two institutions' experience in optimizing zakat to achieve the SDGs in their international conference of Islamic finance. Irfan in his presentation stated that the use of zakat should be inline with the objective of shariah or known as maqasid al shariah.

Irfan highlighted the study done by Puskas BAZNAS in which all SDGs have been identified to be inline with shariah with some adjustment in terms of definition. 53% of the SDGs (9 goals) should be made as the first priority that will be funded by zakat fund while the remaining 7 goals (47%) are classified in the second priority.


Irfan also appreciated UNDP support to harmonize zakat with SDGs. It is expected that greater role of zakat will be able to achieve the SDGs especially in reducing poverty and inequality in the country.